Sunday 7 June 2015

ENG201 - Business and Technical English Writing Assignment No. 2 Solution Spring 2015 Due Date:Jun 09, 2015

Business & Technical English: Eng201

Spring 2015           
Assignment No. 02
Total Marks: 15
Lesson No. 10-20

 Objectives
To assess the students’ knowledge of stylistic accuracy and key concepts of Business English

Instructions
  1. The assignments sent after the Due Date will not be accepted.
  2. The corrupt files will be marked zero.
  3. The assignments should be zoomed in at 100%.
  4. Plagiarism will NOT be tolerated. Plagiarism means taking credit for someone else’s work by presenting it as your own.
  5. No marks will be awarded for copied assignments and the case may be referred to the discipline committee for a suitable action.
  6. No assignment will be accepted through e-mail.
  7. The font color should be preferably black and font size should be 12 Times New Roman.

Q1. Seven Cs (7 Cs) are an important part of communication. Each C of communication is followed by two examples. Identify which one is a good example in the relevant C of communication. (10 marks)

1. Clarity

I Example 
Hi Arif,
I wanted to write you a quick note about Zahid, who's working in your department. He's a great asset, and I'd like to talk to you more about him when you have time.
Best Regards,
A.B.C
II Example
Hi Arif,
I wanted to write you a quick note about ZAhid, who's working in your department. In recent weeks, he's helped the IT department through several pressing deadlines on his own time.
We've got a tough upgrade project due to run over the next three months, and his knowledge and skills would prove invaluable. Could we please have his help with this work?
I'd appreciate speaking with you about this. When is it best to call you to discuss this further?
Best wishes,
A. B. C.
2. Conciseness
I Example
Hi Imran,
I wanted to touch base with you about the email marketing campaign we kind of sketched out last Thursday. I really think that our target market is definitely going to want to see the company's philanthropic efforts. I think that could make a big impact, and it would stay in their minds longer than a sales pitch.
For instance, if we talk about the company's efforts to become sustainable, as well as the charity work we're doing in local schools, then the people that we want to attract are going to remember our message longer. The impact will just be greater.
What do you think?
Regards
X. Y. Z.
II Example
Hi Imran,
I wanted to quickly discuss the email marketing campaign that we analyzed last Thursday. Our target market will want to know about the company's philanthropic efforts, especially our goals to become sustainable and help local schools.
This would make a far greater impact, and it would stay in their minds longer than a traditional sales pitch.
What do you think?
Regards
X. Y. Z.
3. Coherence
I  Example
Hi Asif,
I wanted to write you a quick note about the report you finished last week. I gave it to Nazia to proof, and she let me know that there are a few changes that you'll need to make. She'll email you her detailed comments later this afternoon.
Thanks,
Shehzad
II Example
Hi Asif,
I wanted to write you a quick note about the report you finished last week. I gave it to Nazia to proof, and she wanted to make sure you knew about the department meeting we're having this Friday. We'll be creating an outline for the new employee handbook.
Thanks,
Shehzad
4. Completeness
I Example
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to remind you about tomorrow's meeting on the new telecommuting policies. The meeting will be at 10:00 a.m. in the second-level conference room. Please let me know if you can't attend.
See you then,
Best Wishes
Kaleem
II  Example
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to send you all a reminder about the meeting we're having tomorrow!
See you then,
Best Wishes
5. Courtesy
I  Example
Hi Mansoor,
I wanted to write you a quick note to ask a favor. During our weekly meetings, your team does an excellent job of highlighting their progress. But this uses some of the time available for my team to highlight theirs. I'd really appreciate it if you could give my team a little extra time each week to fully cover their progress reports.
Thanks so much, and please let me know if there's anything I can do for you!
Best Wishes,
Javeed
II  Example
Hi Mansoor,
I wanted to let you know that I don't appreciate how your team always monopolizes the discussion at our weekly meetings. I have a lot of projects, and I really need time to get my team's progress discussed as well. So far, thanks to your department, I haven't been able to do that. Can you make sure they make time for me and my team next week?
Thanks,
Javeed

Q2. Biasness is a particular tendency, trend, inclination, feeling, or opinion, especially one that is preconceived or unreasoned. Each sentence given below carries one Bias. Identify the correct bias and write your answers below these sentences. (5 marks)
1. We are drawn to the individual who has a pleasant personality, but we avoid the person who struggles with depression that interferes with their ability to function.
2. We enjoy spending time with people who are relaxed and easy going, but we shun those who are emotionally volatile and have difficulty controlling their temper.
3. The past two decades have seen considerable activism by women to improve the quality of their health and health care.
4. There has always seemed to be one set of standards that apply to men, and another set of standards that apply to women.
5. A BBC News spokesman said: “BBC News aims to provide clear, impartial and balanced coverage across all output to represent a range of views.

No comments:

Post a Comment